Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ginger Cupcakes with Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting

This week's recipe came from Fine Cooking's "Sweet Cakes" magazine, link to recipe here.

I'm usually not a big fan of Ginger but we were having a few friends over for dinner, including Naomi and David who you may remember from our hike back in August. Naomi celebrated her birthday while we were gone in Switzerland and she loves her ginger so I figured that I would try and make it up to her with food (always a good start.) and try something new for myself.
I have to say, I am really pleased with how they turned out. Everyone said they liked them and Naomi and David even took some home. With the extra frosting as Naomi pointed out I didn't put enough on there. 
In my defense, I grew up in a family that prefers pie to cake, and doesn't love frosting. I know, where did you come from then, right? I think they found me under a rock and I'm sure any one of my brothers would happily confirm that for you.
The recipe was a bit daunting by looks, but not to bad once it got underway.
The batter was interesting with just butter and lemon zest, but it was a leap of faith that turned out well. If you think the coutertop looks cramped, that's because it is.

Once all the ingredients were mixed it made a surprisingly small amount of batter. The recipe says it yields 36, but as always I cam out ahead with somewhere around 44.



Bretta always likes to "oversee" my projects.
 
Big thanks to everyone for coming over to enjoy our back patio before the rains started!

PS: Naomi makes awesome upcycled paper bead jewelry, check her out on Etsy here

1 comment: