Thursday, March 18, 2010

Switzerland days 1-7

So I finally figured I would give a little synopsis of our unbelievably amazing vacation in Switzerland.

First lets make sure we all know where Switzerland is, as a few college graduates I know did not when I mentioned the vacation. (And I swear I did not give a sarcastic answer or treat them like they were lesser because of their lack of geographical knowledge. It was a struggle, but I did it.)
Okay, now that we have all brushed up on our geography, I will continue.
We flew into Geneva on February 19 and it was foggy and raining. Mr. T had an itinerary for our day in Geneva but had forgotten it at home. We walked around a bit there, exploring and getting soaking wet, before we decided that we were both exhausted and anxious to get to Mr. T's Grandparents' in Neuchatel. We arrived in Neuchatel in mid-afternoon and I knew I was going to love it. It sits on lake Neuchatel and has beautiful views of the mountains all around it, and great old architecture. For example:
 Beyond the dark strip on the opposite side of the lake are Les Alps but it wasn't clear when I took this picture so you can't see them.
The looks on the Grandparents' faces were priceless when they saw Mr. T. Clearly they love him as much as I do. The next two days we explored Neuchatel and ate some absolutely fabulous cheese and bread. And crepes. And chocolate. And apple pastries.
Our first adventure, and my first trip to a castle, was to Chateau de Chillon which could be the best views in Western Switzerland:
What a cool place to visit! Each room had explanations of what it was used for, historical info on the castle, and some were set up as they would have been around 500 years ago.
We also enjoyed our first Panache of the trip across the road in a small restaurant
For our second adventure we headed to the small town of Jegenstorf to stay with Mr. T's Aunt and cousin and to explore Bern! Jegenstorf is a little farming town with lots of nice old houses, farms, and 3 of our favorite Swiss people (can't forget Marcus). The snow was mostly melted and the first flowers of spring were just starting to pop out of the ground- such a fun thing to see! We had great food with more of the Swiss-German influence and great conversations. I finally found someone in Mr. T's family that is willing to discuss politics!
Chateau in Jegenstorf
Bern is a very cool city. People are very nice and understanding when you don't speak German (Mr. T speaks fluent French but no German and I'm not fluent in either.) It would be a nice place to spend a few days and do some serious shopping.
Some nice Russian via Philadelphia tourists took this picture for us
The highlight of the sightseeing was definitely the fountain with a statue of a man eating children. Yes, there's a story with it:

I will post more later, the computer is going ridiculously slow and I'm anxious to spend some time with Mr. T since we haven't seen each other for the last two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment