Monday, March 22, 2010

Second week of deliciousness: Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes

For this week's challenge I chose a trial run of one of my Easter dessert possibilities. I got the recipe here: http://alaunamakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/lemon-raspberry-cupcakes.html
The recipe doesn't say, but it makes 36 cupcakes. I hope you are either a mother or have an army to feed if you plan on trying this. I had Mr. T take about 20 to work. Another 4 we pawned off on my in-laws and I plan to pawn another 4 or 5 off on my boss.
As far as I can tell the biggest glaring difference so far is my ability to make my cupcakes look really pretty. But I'm working on it. So far I've found that the cheapy baby formula bottle liner-esque confectioner's bags work as well as you'd guess, and that a Ziploc Freezer Bag (pint size) with a corner cut out is going to be the sturdiest butter cream piping bag that you've got in your kitchen. Both the sandwich bag and the bottle liner look-a-like bag exploded.
Lemony delicious batter
Butter Cream Icing- need I say more?
Pre cone cut-outs
Finished product
  My recommendations: Make this recipe when raspberries are in season. There's nothing like spending $7 on a box of raspberries (maybe 24 count?) and having half be inedible. 
  So far my reviewers haven't been very helpful. They gave these cupcakes an A+. As opposed to the "these are the best cupcakes I've ever eaten" that the Irish Car Bomb cupcakes have gotten. Luckily for me I have recently expanded my reviewer base and will now be pulling in taste testers from around the country once a month for a more rounded review. Bon appetit!
Spring has sprung and we couldn't resist a Bunny Bretta for less than the price of a gallon of gas.

3 comments:

  1. Is there an online application for taste tester? I can be there in 30 minutes flat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No application needed dear, just let me know when you're ready for some cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. Yet another one I want to try! Lemon cake and raspberry butter-cream is my favorite combination. It was the flavor of your wedding cake!

    ReplyDelete