Tuesday, August 10, 2010

30 Day Challenge, Day 20

What is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with?

Umm, can I say Life? I mean, think about it, life is tough for everybody. And certainly more so for some than others. I have to say I've had it pretty easy but this whole process of growing and changing and making good decisions and being a contributing member of society is tough sometimes.


But I guess I would be cheating if I didn't state one thing. So.... I'm going to go with my parents separation. It was a long, ugly, drawn out process that I don't know every detail of (nor would I put it on the internet if I did!) but I can say that it was awful. Just awful. I was 10 when the process started and around 14 when it ended. We went from a family of 14, yes 14, to a family of 4. It was pretty hard to take. Counted in that 14 are my Aunt, cousins, foster kids, older brother, friends that lived with us, my two younger brother and my parents. Then we were my Mom or Dad (basically never in the same room) and the three youngest kids. Parents like to tell you that their struggles don't involve you. I'm sure that's what they're supposed to say but seriously? What the heck does that mean? "We're just splitting your life apart but don't worry, it doesn't involve you." Umm, I don't know how much more involved we could have been. There are a thousand ways it could have been worse of course, but if you've gone through it yourself you know the feeling I have that it could have been a thousand times better as well. Such is life.

Luckily, now my parents have both moved on (so have their kids!) and are content with their lives.
And they spend more time in the same room with us than they used to, which makes their children very happy.

That was a heavy post. Maybe just for me.

Love ya Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment