Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What we've been cooking: Creme Brulee and Veggie Comfort food

For my Mother-in-law's birthday, the other Mrs. T, we were given the assignment of bringing dessert. Not wanting to bore with a batch of obligatory cupcakes and wanting to stray from the typical "berries and ice cream" routine we decided to take a leap: Epicurious's  Creme Brulee With Berries.
Mr. T and I both forgot to photograph the Creme Brulee but we were very pleased with the results, considering my flub. I tried to follow the recommendations from the comments section, and only use eight egg yolks, instead of 9, and then realized we only had 7. And then when I cracked number 5 it also cracked the yolk, so we ended up with 6. We did use the 2 cups of cream that other people suggested, and came out with more of a pudding-like Creme Brulee. I think in the future I will not be so lazy and go to the store to get more eggs, even if it is late Wednesday night and I've got an early day ahead of me. Even missing 2 egg yolks, I thought it turned out pretty well.

A few months back I asked some ladies on my local messaging board what I could do to get Mr. T to enjoy Swiss Chard more. One of the women who's cooking stories I'm always drooling over suggested Epicurious's Sweet potatoes, apples and braising greens  Since Mr. T does most of the cooking during the week, he decided to give it a shot. The end result was very nice. I do recommend taking it easy on the salt though. ;)
 (shown with a Gruyere topped pork chop and apple sauce)

Bretta has been working on her front seat-steal maneuvers

1 comment:

  1. Here's one for you to try with any hearty, leafy greens, but I especially love with chard.

    1/4 C oil (canola/olive, whatever, I use coconut)
    4 cloves garlic sliced
    1 tsp lemon zest
    half lemon juiced
    1 tbl sesame seeds
    one bunch chard (or other green)

    wash the chard and cut off the stems, cut those into 2 inch segments and set aside. Stack chard and slice down the middle long ways, then slice 1 inch cross sections.

    Heat oil in saute pan or wok and add stems, saute for 4 minutes, add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add sesame seeds and stir to coat in oil and then add leafy greens and saute for 5-8 minutes or until preferred tenderness. When done squeeze half lemon and stir, serve and sprinkle with lemon zest. Even tiger loves them cooked this way. Love you! -Bug

    ReplyDelete