Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It might be time to move home when....

*Disclaimer: This post will bring out my red-necky, hillbilly, small town up bringing and leanings*
 Today on my drive home Hank Williams Jr's "A Country Boy Can Survive choked me up. And also reminded me of this picture of my baby brother from our wedding...:
So Yeah, that's not normally the sentiment that goes along with that song but it got me thinking. I don't know how to plow a field and I don't even know how to clean a gun. Maybe if I had some more time on my hands I would but instead I spend a good chunk of my free time daily sitting in traffic thinking "I want to live where the green grass grows!" So immediately this afternoon I start planning my big escape from CENTRAL California and, of course, planning the playlist that will be blaring on the sterio on my drive. The first song will be Alan Jackson's "Gone Country" followed shortly by Brooks & Dunn's "Rock My World Little Country Girl" and probably ending with the Dixie Chicks' "Cowboy Take Me Away." And then I get really nervous about some natural disaster hitting and separating me from Northern California, and then what will I do? I can plant pre-grown plants but I have no idea what to do with seeds! I could probably figure that out but then, what do I do for shelter, how do I fight off crazies trying to steal my belongings, how do I build a raft from nothing?!? I usually try and remind myself that a lot of people in Trinity maybe don't know how to do these things but gees, it really makes you think!
My whole point is that while sometimes I can fool myself into thinking that I'm really only happy here, I miss living at home (not as in with my Mom but in the general vicinity of where I grew up.) I like slow-paced life. I like realistic people that don't judge you based on money (sounds cliche but its totally true) and I really like looking at tall mountains and trees. I miss my HLM Maddy (see her blog here) and I miss living within an hour of my siblings and their children. Not to mention I miss a 1 hour drive taking me 60 miles and not 30.
I can't wait for that day that I get to play Gone Country on my radio and be driving north on I-5 with my husband, my moving truck, and my rifle (which hopefully I will have learned to clean myself by then) whether its now or 20 years from now, Trinity county, here I come.

1 comment:

  1. I hear there's good properties for sale in TC these days...

    ReplyDelete