Sunday, September 12, 2010

German Chocolate Cupcakes

I mentioned in my other post that I made German Chocolate cupcakes for my Dad. Originally, I had told him that he should enter into the cupcake challenge but when he tried to enter it told him that he had to be a member, he didn't want to be a member, and didn't really think that he should have to enter a contest for me to make him cupcakes. He had a point.

As you may have guessed, I'm a huge fan of sweets. Growing up, there were two days of the year that I didn't want an extra big slice of cake. Those two days would be February 25 and July 27, my Dad and older brother S's birthdays. Everyone knows that you get your favorite cake on your birthday and guess what both of them love? You got it, German Chocolate. Now, don't get me wrong, I still ate the cake, but it's definitely not my favorite.

Not my favorite, but still something I wanted to add to my cupcake repetoire so I spent some time searching out German Chocolate recipes via Google. And I ended up stumbling onto The Cupcake Project. How have I not found that before?! I swear, the longer I go on with my weekly cupcake-ing the less original I feel. Oh well! Anyway, there was a great recipe for German Chocolate cupcakes (not that I really know because I didn't actually eat any of them....) and a little education on the history of the German Chocolate Cake. Guess I'll have to stop telling my Dad "This isn't real German chocolate cake."

The condensed milk had me a little wary, just because I haven't used it before and generally I'm against dairy of any kind that doesn't require refrigeration, but it turned out fine.


We had a little bit of a cupcake disaster with this batch. The yield is supposed to be 30 but I lost 12 due to my mini oven. I was making these on Thursday night, we were going to leave Friday afternoon, for my family's annual camping trip. That Thursday it also happened to hit 107 degrees here, a rarity. It was still 80+ after 7pm when I finally dragged myself into the kitchen. Since I normally only make one tray of cupcakes at a time and this time I was making two different types I decided to put two of the trays in at a time. Big mistake. The tray on the top cooked fine, the bottom tray burnt on the outside and barely cooked in the center. I hate wasting food but was forced to toss out that whole tray.


This definitely was the messiest I have ever seen all 4.5 feet of my counter space:

Kinda entertaining though isn't it?

I had no space for an extra cooking rack! The cupcakes with the sunken centers were later dumped in the trash. Much to my Dad's dismay.

That's one gooey mess.

I decided there is no way to make these look pretty. So I went for butterfly papers.

I couldn't catch him taking a bite, here he is meticulously removing the paper.

Dad said they were great, so did my brother S and his family!

And by now, we all know how Bretta feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment